Wednesday, June 11, 2008

In Beijing


Well I made it to Beijing. There were a few flight complications on the way and I had to spend a night in Seattle but I made it. I got here a day later then I expected so I had to reschedule my train ticket to Saturday which is fine because that will give me time to tour around the Beijing area. I'm staying at a Chinese school that teaches all grades along with English classes. Its a very nice place and they were able to set me up with people to travel around the Beijing area.

Yesterday I went went to the Great Wall. It was incredible and stretched as far as you could see in both ways. Driving through the city was amazing. There are so many buildings being constructed right now. A lot of it is for the Olympics but also for the growing economy. The streets were crowded with cars, buses, and people on their electric bikes. On the way back from the wall we stopped by the Olympic stadium and village. It was massive. There was still a lot of construction in the area as they trying to finish for the Olympics which are in less then 2 months. The city is amazing and nothing like I expected.

The people I've met so far have been very nice. On the way from Minneapolis I met a girl flying back to Hong Kong after spending a semester at Eau Claire. It was interesting to talk to her about China and learn some things. We both had a 5 hour layover in Tokyo so we ate some excellent Japanese food, walked through the mall in the airport and she showed me a bunch of pictures of here life in China.

I have 2 more days in Beijing. Today I'm going to see the Forbidden City. On Saturday I leave early to board the train for Mongolia.

No comments: